In the Beginning…

I have to confess that I have resisted becoming a blogger for some time.  In my narrow mind I equated blogging with keeping a diary, which I don’t and never have.  Boy, was I wrong.  The good news is “He can be taught!”

I am beginning this blog for two reasons.  The first is selfish.  I hope that by writing my thoughts and ideas here, I can somehow get a handle on them and my own thinking.  I warn you now, I am abstract/random off the scale!  My second reason is more noble, so to speak.  I have a sincere desire to make a difference.  I believe in our public school system with a passion, but I also have deep concerns as a parent and as an educator.  I hope this dialog will play a part the needed transformation of the US educational system.

I would be remiss if I did not give credit to Will Richardson, who I just met tonight.  I am sure he has already forgotten me, but he ended a very good lecture with a challenge.  Essentially, his challenge avoided the pie in the sky of changing the entire system over night. Rather, he challenged individuals to learn and grow.  This is my first step.  I am doing what I said I would never do (never say never), I am blogging!

~~Doug DeWitt

10 thoughts on “In the Beginning…

1. Doug,

I applaud you for beginning this blog. I am neither a blogger nor a diary writer either, but I love to engage in stimulating discussions about teaching. Yes, good leadership is critical. I wish for those who see themselves as not holding a formal leadership role to realize that there are many types of leadership and teachers do play leadership roles. For example, a teacher who is a true advocate for her students and positive change in the organization can influence those in formal leadership roles to implement the desired change.

2. Hi Nomsa,

I agree. There is a whole emerging body of literature on teachers as leaders and teacher leadership. It must (and will here) be a part of the conversation.

Thanks for your thoughts and being the first to engage!

~~Doug

3. Doug, like you, I have not blogged but I too am inspired by Will Richardson and others to make the attempt. Thank you for providing a forum for other beginning bloggers to join you in learning in new ways. The idea that my brain works differently than those of my students is not news to me; but, engaging in this media in order to learn about their learning is both novel and challenging. Am I willing to engage my own awkwardness long enough to learn a new way to learn? I don’t know, but now I have posted my first blog, and that must be progress.

4. I think together we can work our way through this process. It should be fun and have an impact.

~~Doug

5. Doug,
    Very impressive — I’m glad you started this and I think that is the challenge — to make these tools OURS first and then it will spread. I was fascinated that no one teaches HOW to use My Space or Face Book–in fact we really discourage it more than anything else.
    Thanks for starting us on this journey.

6. Everyone,
    It is good to see that you are doing your homework. Diana talks about how we always have ideas but there is never any homework. Will gave us a homework assignment and it is important that we take a serious look at this challenge. In this case, we do know what we do not know and that is how to leverage the power of technology to maximize learning. We walk around with computers the size of wallets that are more powerful than the computers that NASA used to control launches decades ago. Computers that used to fill up a room the size of Holloway Hall now fits neatly into our pockets. This is the kind of power we are dealing with.
    Never before have people been able to be content producers and community organizers. Obama gets ridiculed for this skill but that is essentially what he was able to leverage on the Internet. Organizing communities around a common theme for support has always been powerful. Just like the power of the old super computers has multiplied and shrank, the power of organizing groups has multiplied and fits right on top of your desks.
    What do you think would happen now if MLK were alive and had a grasp of using the Internet?

7. Doug,
    I wanted to add my plaudits to those of my colleagues. As you venture forth into the blogoshere, do you have any concerns about maintaining and/or sustaining the blog?
    Pat

8. Hi Pat,

I think the short answer to my concerns about maintaining and sustaining the blog is habit. It has been a while since I have posted, but am resolved to make it a habit and get into a scheduled routine. I see it as two fold, one to have a dialogue, but two to flush out and vet different ideas that are floating around in my head. I am hopeful that it will be helpful.